Listen Up
I found this website to be very interesting. I love the idea of teens having a safe place to go to and to hear other peoples point of view. Today I was able to watch 4 different videos: Jewmacian, Slip of the Tongue, If This is God's Will... Who Needs God, and Babies, Bottles, and Diapers: The Reality of Teenage Pregnancy.
Jewmacian
The piece Jewmacian was about a young Jewish girl whose mother committed suicide when she was just 4 years old. This girl goes onto explain the woman (a Jamaican woman), who essentially saved her life, raised her from the moment her mother committed suicide (as her nanny) until she was 8 years old. The girl speaks of how this women invited her into her family, took her to Jamaica, and treated her as if she was her own daughter. The girl goes onto to explain how difficult it was for her nanny/mother to leave. The girls grandmother goes onto to explain how she never understood the relationship there and makes it obvious that she felt the relationship had maybe gotten carried away and gone to far.
"Slip of the Tongue'
This piece was about a young boy telling a poem who happens to see a girl who he is attracted to at a bus stop and he tries to muster up any sort of confidence to talk to this girl. Once he finally decides what he wants to say he offends the girl and she "puts him in his place". I thought that this piece was so interesting because it showed women in a very positive and educated which is often not accomplished in most teenage pieces.
"If This is God's Will... Who Needs God"
This piece was about a young girl who displays a controversial piece of art in her school. Another student becomes offended by the piece and ends up ripping it down. This becomes a huge issue because we as American citizens have rights to speech which had been ripped away from her. This would be an important piece for students to see because, it raises political issues that teenagers don't often think about. Often times teens do not acknowledge how politics can and will effect their life everyday and I feel that this peice opens up awareness about that.
"Babies, Bottles, and Diapers: Reality of Teen Pregnancy"
This was my most favorite piece that I had stumbled upon. This piece is about teens who are either pregnant or are teen mothers and fathers. I enjoyed this piece so much because it spoke in large volumes about the trials and tribulations that teen parents can/will go through. I found this piece to not necessarily be neither positive or negative but truthful and honest. i think that any teen that was faced with this issue would find this piece to be helpful in bettering their understanding of pregnancy.
Overall, i found this site to be an excellent resource for teens and adults. I think it very positively shows teens in a different light than what we are usually use to seeing them in. I don't think this site shows any prejudgements of teens which is what we are typically used to. This site is closely connected to Tricia Rose and Thomas Hine. I believe that Rose spoke of using Hip-Hop as a form of expression and that this web site is doing the same thing for teens. I also thought this related to Hine because Hine tries to persuade people into thinking of teens as humans and as adults and i find this web site to be doing exactly that. Like Hine suggests, all teens are not these miserable aliens from another country and this web site clearly suggests the same thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment