Saturday, March 29, 2008

Article about Teenagers: Seventeen Magazine

The article that I have recently read is from Seventeen Magazine. I feel that I must preface this blog by saying that when I was a teen, my life revolved around this magazine. I t was equipped with all the best fashion advice, celebrity news, and the best boy tips ever. Now when reading this magazine I cannot help but feel a sense of superficiality run through my body while my IQ is dropping just a little lower. The article that I have chosen to read is,” Your Life: Is Your Friend for Real?” The article goes on to describe different types of friendships that a teen might have and the role that each one of these friendships play whether it be good or bad. The first picture viewed by the readers has two young girls with bubble thoughts around each one of their heads, one reads, “I always knew we’d be best friends!” while the other reads, “I hope she’ll give me a ride to the mall!” Mind you, these two girls are sitting there with their hands around each other both appearing to be best friends of the year. Throughout the article, there are words highlighted in red to stand out to the reader, those words are, “at the mall, scandal, crush, secret, popular”, isn’t this supposed to be an article about friendship. Now in my adulthood looking back at the magazine I am appalled, I feel that this magazine is a complete mockery of teens and based by this magazine, no wonder no adult would take them seriously. I think that this magazine assumes that teens are everything that Hines was trying to defend. I think that this magazine almost gives teens a reason to behave in a certain way because that is what’s expected from them anyway.

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

I have to admit that my life revolved around 17 mag when I was in High School, too! And now, I have a similar thought: like I can feel the IQ points draining from my head when I look at it!